
By Aggrey Baba
Democratic Party (DP) leader and Laroo-Pece MP Norbert Mao has mocked former Speaker Anita Annet Among over the seizure of her luxury Rolls-Royce by security operatives earlier on Monday, saying Uganda has proven that “everything is possible.”
Speaking on Tuesday, May 19, during the weekly press conference at the Party headquarters, Mao appeared visibly enjoying the moment, smiling as he addressed the nation about the unfolding political storm around speakership of the 12th Parliament.
“In life, everything is possible. Who knew a breakdown from the suburbs of Katwe would ever carry a Rolls-Royce?”
The remark, delivered in a tone of satisfaction, drew laughter as Mao referred to the seizure of Among’s luxury car, (Rolls-Royce) by security agencies investigating allegations of corruption and extravagant spending during her tenure as Speaker.
The seizure has further intensified scrutiny around Among, whose political standing has in recent weeks come under pressure amid widening investigations into Parliament’s expenditure.
Mao, who who belled the cat on Among’s alleged corruption, has been at loggerheads with her since he declared his interest in the Speakership of the 12th Parliament.
Their rivalry had already spilled into public exchanges, including during the NRM retreat in Kyankwanzi, where Among dismissed Mao as a “visitor” interfering in internal party affairs.
The Bukedea Woman MP called called Mao a visitor, who should stay in the sitting room and not enter the bedroom, poking his nose into the NRM family matters.
Mao hit back sharply, describing Among as an “adopted child” within the NRM, arguing that she had no deep roots in the party, having crossed from the opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) just few years ago, before rising to become Speaker and second Vice Chairperson of the NRM.
Since then, Mao has maintained a sustained campaign against Among, accusing her of corruption, extravagant spending and lacking the integrity to lead Parliament. At one point, he said she became Speaker “accidentally” and insisted she should either step down or be voted out.
The political pressure around Among has since escalated. On May 12, the Patriotic League of Uganda (PLU), led by Chief of Defence Forces (CDF) Muhoozi Kainerugaba, publicly withdrew its endorsement of Among and her deputy Speaker Thomas Tayebwa, citing concerns over corruption and extravagant spending in Parliament.
Shortly after, security and investigative agencies reportedly launched coordinated operations on alleged orders from President Museveni, searching several homes linked to Among.
Sources indicate that during the investigations and searches, investigators recovered large sums of money in both Uganda shillings and US dollars, alongside luxury vehicles including the Rolls-Royce, and other controversial items.
For Mao, the developments represent a political vindication of warnings he has made for months.
Speaking on Tuesday, he said he had long spoken against the unchecked abuse of power inside Parliament, even when others stayed silent.
“I have managed to expose the person whom everyone, including journalists, feared. Even if you heard anything, you could not call her out,” Mao said with a big smile on his face.
The comments underscored a growing sense of confidence within DP and the universe of Norbert Mao, as he now presents himself as one of the earliest and most consistent critics of the corrupt Among.
The latest developments have significantly reshaped the political atmosphere around the Speakership race for the 12th Parliament, with Mao also actively positioning himself as a contender in the contest, despite alleged endorsement of Budama West’s Jocob Oboth-Oboth as the official NRM candidate.
What was once seen as an untouchable character in the Parliament of Uganda is now facing intense scrutiny, while Mao speaks with swagg and the confidence of a man who believes the political tides have finally turned in his favour. (For comments on this story, get back to us on 0705579994 [WhatsApp line], 0779411734 & 041 4674611 or email us at mulengeranews@gmail.com).


![Ikumba Parish Catholics Up In Arms, Demand Action As Their Head Laity [Dr. Narsis] Takes on Second Wife](https://mulengeranews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/12-2-75x75.jpg)














![Ikumba Parish Catholics Up In Arms, Demand Action As Their Head Laity [Dr. Narsis] Takes on Second Wife](https://mulengeranews.com/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/12-2-350x250.jpg)







