UGANDA PONDERS DISCHARGING THREE COVID19 PATIENTS
By Mulengera Reporter
The Ministry of Health (MoH) says at least three of Uganda’s 53 patients could soon be discharged almost three weeks since the first Covid19 case was confirmed on March 21.
Dr Henry Mwebesa, the Director General of Health Services at MoH, says the trio has recovered from the deadly disease, and healthcare professionals are considering allowing them to leave hospitals and rejoin their families and communities.
“Three cases have tested negative twice after treatment and are being considered for discharge by clinicians,” said Dr Mwebesa in a Thursday night statement.
Once discharged, the three will be Uganda’s first Covid19 survivors. In neighbouring Rwanda and Kenya, and Tanzania, at least six patients have recovered from the respiratory disease.
Globally, the disease’s death toll has hit close to 100,000, while infections have risen to more than 1.6 million. Of these, over 360,000 have recovered.
Meanwhile, Uganda registered no new case Thursday. All the 338 samples tested by the Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) were negative. So far, Dr Mwebesa added, 3,862 samples had been tested. Some 538 people are still under institutional quarantine while the Ministry is following up on 571 contacts of the confirmed cases.
(For comments on this story, call, text or whatsapp us on 0705579994, 0779411734, 0200900416 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org).