GOV’T CONFIRMS 54 OF PEOPLE REPORTED MISSING ARE DEAD
By CJ Etyang
The government has confirmed that 54 of the people who mysteriously went missing at the height of just concluded general elections are dead. Internal Affairs Minister Jeje Odongo on Thursday told Parliament that among those who died are 45 males, 6 females and 3 children.
The minister, however, clarified that out of the 45 who lost their lives is one man who died as a result of a road accident involving car registration number UAW 827N. The opposition has been pressurizing the government to tell Ugandans the whereabouts of at least 423 people which it alleges went missing at the hands of security personnel during and after the bloody campaigns ahead of the January 14 polls which were won by President Yoweri Museveni.
The minister presented a report detailing the status of the missing persons following an earlier concern by Kiira Municipality MP Ibrahim Ssemujju Nganda and his Masaka Municipality counterpart Mathias Mpuuga after Parliament Speaker Rebecca Kadaga directed Odongo to make a statement in response to the inquiry into the missing persons.
Odongo made the presentation after the opposition contested an earlier list of missing persons that claimed that only 44 people had been reported missing. Parliament then directed the Internal Affairs Ministry to present a more comprehensive report before the floor of the House. The development culminated into a February 4, 2021 presentation in which the Internal Affairs Ministry tabled a report in the August House listing 177 people which the government confirmed had been reported missing. Odongo’s Thursday’s report, in a new development, said a total of 1,035 people had been arrested by security personnel.
The report the minister tabled before the House on Thursday detailed when each person was arrested, where each of the missing persons was arrested from, why they were arrested as well as the status of the arrested persons. The minister said those arrested were nabbed during riotous situations.
Out of those arrested between January 18, 2021 and Thursday April 15, 2021 (1,035) when Odongo appeared before Parliament include 775 people who have already been arraigned before court and charged with various counts. Four of the cases involving the 775 have already been concluded by the State Attorney. Another 90 cases are still being investigated.
Out of the 1,035 arrested, 901 have already been charged in court including NUP President Robert Kyagulanyi while 734 are still in remand, Odongo said. 167 have been released on bail as another 113 were freed on police bond including former Presidential candidate Patrick Oboi Amuriat.
Another 21 have been cleared and released by the police while 28 are on community service. 20 were cautioned and only 3 have been sentenced to serve prison terms. Odongo also said that from the list that contained 423 people the opposition said were missing, 58 have been released on bond. 365 of the 423 have not been verified because the list did not show the time and location of the arrest.
The minister said that intelligence reports indicate many of the missing people in the opposition’s list could be hiding in villages and other areas for fear of being arrested for various offenses committed. (For comments on this story, call, text or whatsapp us on 0705579994, 0779411734, 0200900416 or email us at email@example.com).
Below is the full list of missing as released by the GoU