CORONAVIRUS: HEALTH MINISTRY SPEAKS OUT ON REPORTS OF CHINESE QUARANTINED IN MUKONO
By Isaac Wandubile
The Spokesperson of Uganda’s Health Ministry has confirmed reports that three Chinese nationals suspected of being infected with the deadly 2019 Novel Coronavirus have been quarantined, but dismissed claims that the trio had shown life-threatening signs, including bleeding.
Residents of Seeta-Mukono were thrown into panic after news of suspected Coronavirus patients in their area started spreading like wildfire.
The three Chinese, Zhong Hing, Wany Wen Xi, and Ni Side, all working with China Star Company, were reportedly bleeding from their noses, days after returning from China, the epicenter of the viral outbreak.
Health Ministry Spokesperson Emmanuel Ainebyona has told Mulengera News Hing, Xi and Side were being closely monitored “from their homes and they will be quarantined for at least 14 days.”
He appealed to the people of Seeta to be calm, further rubbishing claims that the suspected patients had suffered nose bleeding.
“They don’t have any signs and symptoms,” said Ainebyoona. “People should remain calm.”
On Tuesday, Health Minister Dr Jane Ruth Aceng revealed some 320 people were being monitored over the disease that has killed over 1,000 people, majority of them Chinese, since it broke out weeks ago.
Of these, Aceng revealed, 220 were travelers – from and with links to China – who had been “assessed by our medical teams at the airport and advised on appropriate measures to take in case they develop signs and symptoms of the coronavirus infection.”
The other 100 people, 44 Chinese nationals and 56 Ugandans, have completed 12 days of the two weeks recommended for isolation before the suspects can be allowed to fully interact with those outside quarantine centres again.
Although these three new suspected cases bring the total of those being monitored to 323, the ministry insists no confirmed case has been registered.