Connect with us



By Isaac Wandubile

John Paul Nyeko, murdered former social worker Kenneth Akena’s brother, on Tuesday appeared before High Court in Kampala and narrated the events that immediately followed his brother’s shooting. Nyeko, 33, told court Akena had spoken to him in hospital, told him who had shot him and the place where the shooting happened. Mathew Kanyamunyu, his brother Matthew and Burundian girlfriend Cynthia Munwangari have been facing charges of Akena’s murder since the incident happened in November 2016.

Nyeko told court he had spent the day with Akena but the duo had agreed to meet at Kyadondo Rugby Grounds at about 6pm. Half an hour after their scheduled meeting, Akena told Nyeko he was at Kinawataka Road heading to town. “We agreed to meet at Kyadondo because I was also leaving town,” said Nyeko.

“Later at around 7pm I called Akena to locate him but he was not picking up my calls. After a few minutes I received the call from our brother Jordan asking me whether I was with Akena but I told him that I was not seeing him around.”

It was Jordan who broke to Nyeko the news of Akena’s shooting, further informing him his brother had been admitted at Nakasero Hospital. Nyeko added that he had attempted to seek information from the officer-in-charge of the area police. “He [the OC] told me that no shooting had taken place. I immediately left for Nakasero Hospital,” he said.  Once he got inside Nakasero Hospital, he parked near an ambulance. It was here that he met a man and a woman he would later learn were Mathew and Munwangari.

“They told me ‘sorry’ for what had happened to my brother Akena and that they helped to bring him to the hospital,” Nyeko further told court. In the emergency room where doctors worked to save Akena’s life, continued Nyeko, he “opened his eyes and told me that ‘I am going to die because I was shot in the stomach at Game [Lugogo] not Kyadondo Rugby Grounds.”

“The people who brought me here, a man and a woman, are the ones who shot me after I knocked their car when I was parking at the game,” Nyeko told court. Later in the night, after Nyeko and Jordan had recorded statements at Wandegeya Police Station, Nakasero Hospital told them that their Intensive Care Unit was full and they would transfer the patient to Norvik Hospital.

It was at Norvik Hospital that two men who introduced themselves as Joseph and Moses, Matthew’s brothers, “promised to stand with us and also give us financial support.” They would be told Akena was dead the following. He also told court he had confirmed two mobile phones, keys and shoes found in accused’s car were indeed Akena’s.





Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in NEWS